DRC Mining Week 2017 focuses more on the local challenges of the province as well as the role of the mining industry in social development responsibilities. Katanga is the hub of copper and cobalt mining in the DRC. The commodities future and its challenges will be discussed in detail at this year's DRC Mining Week.
In our 2016 edition, the two-day conference delved into hot topics and challenges that the mining industry faces.
The pre-conference had a focus on power solutions and delegates engaged into heated and informative discussions.
THE CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS WERE:
- The commercial viability of mining operations – risks and strengths
- Long term investment capital recovery period
- Financial stability vs. risk of mine closures
- Transformation of investment opportunities
- High commodity prices vs. fall in minerals
- Key drivers and restraints impacting the mining sector
Solutions / Alternatives
- Moving forward – overcoming challenges and acknowledging effortsto date
- Including local communities and improving conditions of mining sites
- Finding alternatives to improve productivity and cut costs
- Copper – finding new use and increasing demand
- Extension of access to communication at mining sites
- Social programs for mine closure
“VERY WELL EXECUTED. HOT TOPICS DISCUSSED AND GOOD OPENING SESSION.”
Koos Louw, Business Development Sub Sahara Africa, MTU South Africa Pty LTD.